US-Backed Yemeni President's Brutal Crackdown Unsuccessful, People ready to Die to remove Dictator


JNN 19 Mar 2011 : A crackdown that killed dozens failed to stop massive demonstrations against Yemen’s U.S.-backed president, as crowds of thousands clashed Saturday with security forces smashing their protest camps and even seized control of one southern city.

In the capital, the government had to bring out tank units and other military forces to protect key buildings as crowds swelled. Protesters also stood their ground in the southern port of Mukalla, surging out of their destroyed encampment and encircling a police station.

In the bloodiest single day of the uprising, Yemeni forces killed at least 46 people and injured hundreds in the capital on Friday, including with snipers firing on demonstrators from rooftops. That prompted condemnation from the U.N. and the United States, which backs his government with hundreds of millions in military aid to battle a potent al-Qaida offshoot based in Yemen’s mountainous hinterlands.

The intensifying crackdown followed failed attempts by Saleh early on to end the revolt, including by pledging not to run for re-election in 2013 or to hand power to his son. The opposition has also spurned his calls for dialogue on a possible unity government. All the while, allies have abandoned him to join the protesters, including two Cabinet ministers, powerful tribal leaders and members of his Congress Party.

On Saturday, police fired live ammunition, rubber bullets and tear gas at protesters at a makeshift camp in Mukalla, a port along the Gulf of Aden. At least 13 people were wounded, including three hit by the live rounds, demonstrators told The Associated Press by telephone.

Thousands surged out of the camp and surrounded a nearby police station in an attempt to seize it. Police fired in the air to hold them back, protesters told the AP. They said security troops managed to uproot their encampment there but confrontations continued.

In the same province, witnesses said protesters chased security authorities out of the city of Dar Saad and were now in control. Dar Saad, with a population of around 150,000, has witnessed some of the deadliest clashes in the past few days – seven people have been killed. It is considered the gateway to the key port of Aden.

During confrontations there over the past few days, protesters set fire to the main police station, torched several police cars and blocked roads to stop security troops from bringing in reinforcements.

Residents said were now forming popular committees to administer their own affairs.

Even before the uprising, many parts of Yemen were effectively beyond the weak government’s direct control, as well-armed tribes run affairs in their areas.

Protests also continued Saturday in the capital, Sanaa, as soldiers in tanks and armored personnel carriers took up positions at intersections and key buildings, including the presidential palace, the state TV building and other government institutions. Soldiers searched motorists and passers-by.

Security and judicial officials told AP that orders to implement a large-scale military operation aimed at emptying main squares from protesters within the next 48 hours had been issued at a meeting of the higher defense council that was headed by Saleh Friday. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the decisions taken. They said authorities were also planning to arrest opposition leaders in the next days.

The violence was condemned by the United States, which has long relied on Saleh for help fighting the al-Qaida branch based in the country and is sending Yemen’s government $250 million in military aid this year.

Top Officials Resign to Join the Protesters

Several more prominent members of Saleh’s ruling Congress Party announced their resignations Saturday. Among those were two former culture ministers and the head of the state-run Saba news agency, Nasr Taha Moustafa, who has close ties to Saleh.

The Yemeni ambassador to Lebanon has resigned in protest at the Sana’a-ordered crackdown on anti-government protesters that recently left 52 people dead and many more injured.

Twenty-Seven parliamentarians and 47 members of President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s ruling General People Congress party have already stepped down, joining the protesters’ camp.

Saba also reported that the Information Ministry deported two Al-Jazeera TV correspondents Saturday for the network’s coverage of protests.

Yemen has largely stopped issuing journalist visas as it tries to control coverage of the protests and has been cracking down on reporters already in the country. On Monday, armed Yemeni security forces raided an apartment shared by four Western journalists – two Americans and two Britons – and deported them because of their coverage.

The Yemeni opposition says it is determined to move forward with its peaceful revolution until the fall of the regime

Despite the countrywide rallies, the head of state has said he would remain in power until the end of his term in 2013

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “US-Backed Yemeni President's Brutal Crackdown Unsuccessful, People ready to Die to remove Dictator

  1. Pingback: Yemen’s President fires his complete Cabinet – His days in office counted « Jafria News

  2. Pingback: Yemeni Demands Saleh’s Prosecution « Jafria News

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s