US Strikes Killing Civilians in Afghanistan


 

JNN 28 Mar 2011 : The Afghan government says it has launched an investigation into a recent US-led airstrike that killed several civilians in the war-ravaged country.

 
Afghan officials say up to 17 people have been killed and several others wounded in a NATO airstrike in the south-eastern province of Paktika.

NATO, however, has put the number of deaths at 10, saying they were all militants.

Thousands of Afghans have so far been killed during military operations by foreign troops.

Many civilians have lost their lives either in Taliban bomb explosions or by NATO airstrikes and ground attacks.

According to a UN report, about 2,800 civilians were killed by foreign forces and militants in Afghanistan last year.

The figure was the highest since the start of the US-led invasion in 2001.

Over 150,000 foreign troops are stationed in the country.

The invasion of Afghanistan took place with the official objective of curbing militancy and bringing peace and stability to the country.

Nine years on, however, Afghanistan remains unstable and civilians continue to pay the price.

 

A US-led airstrike has killed at least 10 people in east Afghanistan amid growing discontent over the rising number of civilian fatalities in the war-wracked country.

 

An airstrike conducted by US-led coalition forces on Sunday claimed the lives of at least ten people in Afghanistan’s eastern province of Paktika, the military alliance said.
Thousands of Afghan people have lost their lives as a result of military operations by the foreign troops since the 2001 US-led invasion of Afghanistan.

In a separate development, the Taliban say they have kidnapped 50 Afghan policemen in the northeastern province of Kunar, a  TV correspondent reported.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said on Sunday that the Taliban ambushed the officers on Saturday afternoon after being tipped off that they would be traveling in Kunar province.

Kunar provincial police Chief Gen. Khalilullah Ziayi confirmed that the militants had stopped four vehicles in Chapa Dara district and captured several dozens of men.

The security situation remains fragile throughout the war-ravaged country despite the presence of 150,000 US-led foreign forces.

The war in Afghanistan, with civilian and military casualties at record highs, has become the longest war in US history.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “US Strikes Killing Civilians in Afghanistan

  1. Pingback: Dangerous Talk » Information-Age War

  2. Pingback: Is NATO trying to silence reports on civilian casualties in Kunar? « The Communicator

  3. Pingback: US led forces Kill 4 Civilian Afghan Women « Jafria News

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s