Rejecting a power transition deal signed by Saleh in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday, which granted him immunity in return for resignation, Yemenis said on Friday that Saleh must be brought to justice over the killing of hundreds of anti-government protesters since opposition rallies began in the country in late January.
Yemenis say the US-backed deal fell far short of the demands of protesters, who have been holding mass demonstrations for months, and that they will continue their protest rallies until their demands are met.
Meanwhile, at least two people have been killed in heavy clashes between forces loyal to Saleh and revolutionary fighters in Sana’a outside the residence of Yemeni Vice President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi.
Witnesses say regime troops attacked opposition fighters with machine-guns and mortars, some of which landed in residential areas.
Saleh signed the power transfer deal brokered by the (Persian) Gulf Cooperation Council to end months of protests in the country in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, on Wednesday.
Under the deal, the Yemeni dictator transfers his presidential powers to his deputy, Hadi, who is expected to form a national unity government and also call for early presidential elections within a 90-day period.
Saleh, however, will remain an honorary president for three months after signing the agreement.
- SALEH THANKS US & SAUDI’S FOR PROTECTING HIM , WHILE HIS FORCES KILLED 100 PROTESTER , SINCE HIS RETURN TO YEMEN
- LONGER YOU TAKE TO STAND UP AGAINST INJUSTICE , THE BIGGER THE PRICE YOU HAVE TO PAY
- MILLIIONS OF PROTESTERS STAGE ANTI-GOVERNMENT RALLIES ACROSS YEMEN
- SAUDI’S & GCC DOUBLE STANDARD ON SYRIA AND BAHRAIN
- THOUSANDS PROTEST IN YEMEN AMIDST TENSIONS
- YEMENI’S PROTEST AGAINST THE SAUDI AND US INTERVENTION IN THEIR INTERNAL MATTERS
- YEMENI’S PROTEST AND CONDEMN SAUDI INTERVENTION IN THEIR INTERNAL AFFAIRS
- REVOLUTIONARIES IN CONTROL OF MOST OF THE PROVINCES OF YEMEN , WHILE SALEH DEFIANT OF LEAVING THE PRESIDENCY , RATHER TRYING TO CREATE A CIVIL WAR
- SAUDI’S PLAYING MAJOR PART IN DEFLECTING THE YEMENI REVOLUTION INTO CIVIL WAR
- 24 KILLED IN AN AIRSTRIKE LAUNCHED BY THE YEMENI GOVERNMENT
- YEMEN’S SALEH BACKS AWAY FROM THE DEAL TO STEP DOWN
- YEMENI OPPOSITION WANTS UNCONDITIONAL REMOVAL OF PRESIDENT SALEH
- YEMENIS REJECT ALE SAUD’S OFFER TO MEDIATE , GIVES TWO WEEKS DEADLINE FOR SALEH TO LEAVE POWER
- YEMENI FORCES OPEN FIRE ON PROTESTERS 17 KILLED , DOZENS INJURED
- US-BACKED YEMENI PRESIDENT’S BRUTAL CRACKDOWN UNSUCCESSFUL, PEOPLE READY TO DIE TO REMOVE DICTATOR
- YEMEN PROTEST ENTERS CRITICAL STAGE , TWO CITIES UNDER CONTROL OF REVOLUTIONARIES
- MILLION YEMENI JOIN THE PROTEST TO OUSTER PRESIDENT ALI ABDULLAH SALEH
- ARABIAN DICTATORS SERVING FOR US & ISRAEL – YEMENI SALEH APOLOGIZES US ISRAEL
- 22 YEMENI PROTESTERS KILLED BY POLICE AND PRO GOVT ACTIVIST