At least 74 dead and 708 injured in clashes of Protester with Egyptian Security forces


Opponents of deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi throw stones at his supporters during clashes in Nasr city areaJNN 28 July 2013 Cairo : Clashes have left at least 74 people dead and hundreds injured in Cairo after security forces attacked supporters of ousted President Morsi, Egypt’s Health Ministry told RT Arabic. However, the Muslim Brotherhood puts the death toll at over 120.

The casualties were taking part in a pro-Morsi rally when they were attacked by members of the security forces, the Brotherhood alleges. They used tear gas to disperse the activists, the Egyptian Interior Ministry has confirmed.

“They are not shooting to wound, they are shooting to kill,” Muslim Brotherhood spokesman Gehad El-Haddad said to Reuters, adding that demonstrators had been hit by gunshot in the head and chest.

During Friday night massive rallies were held in the Egyptian capital by Morsi supporters and his opponents. Egypt’s military has urged Brotherhood supporters to get behind their new plans for new elections.

On Saturday morning Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim stated that pro-Morsi protesters who had organized a sit-in at Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque in Cairo would be “brought to an end soon and in a legal manner.”

The fresh violence follows the detention of ousted President Morsi over suspected links with Hamas. Morsi has been detained for 15 days and will be subjected to questioning over suspicions Hamas helped orchestrate his escape from prison in 2011 during the uprisings that ousted his predecessor President Hosni Mubarak.

The Muslim Brotherhood called the allegations “ridiculous” and said Morsi’s detention marked a return to Mubarak’s repressive regime.

Since President Morsi was removed from office by the military on July 3, dozens of people have died in mass protests. In some of the worst violence since the unrest began in Egypt, 50 Morsi supporters were gunned down at a Cairo barracks on July 8 by security forces.

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “At least 74 dead and 708 injured in clashes of Protester with Egyptian Security forces

  1. Pingback: VELAYAT TV USA – At least 74 dead and 708 injured in clashes of Protester with Egyptian Security forces

  2. this is really so sad, I am so sorry that so many lives was lost in all of this.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s