JNN 21 April 2014 Abuja : The leader of Nigeria’s Wahabi Terrorist Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau claimed responsibility for a bombing in Nigeria’s capital that killed at least 75 people, in a video message obtained by AFP on Saturday. Same Wahabi Terrorists abducted about 100 teenage female students from a school in northeast Nigeria before dawn officials said.
“We are the ones that carried out the attack in Abuja,” Shekau said in the 28-minute video, referring to the deadliest attack ever in Nigeria’s capital which targeted a bus station packed with morning commuters.
Seated with a kalashnikov resting on his left shoulder and dressed in military uniform, the insurgent commander spoke in both Arabic and the Hausa language that is dominant in northern Nigeria.
The message was delivered to AFP in a manner consistent with previous videos from Boko Haram.
The bombing at the Nyanya bus terminal on the outskirts of Abuja was the first major attack in the capital in two years.
Most of the insurgents’ violence in recent months had been concentrated in the group’s remote northeastern stronghold, where the military is waging an 11-month-old offensive.
The attack in Abuja underscored the serious threat the Wahabi Terrorist pose to Africa’s most populous country and top economy.
Shekau indicated that Boko Haram has fighters based in the capital.
“We are in your city,” he said, addressing Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan.
Shekau has been declared a global terrorist by the United States, which has put a $7 million bounty (5.1 million euros) on his head.
Hours after the Abuja bombing, gunmen stormed a girls’ school in the northeast and kidnapped 129 students, an attack also blamed on Boko Haram that has sparked global outrage.
Forty-four of the girls have escaped so far, according to officials, and the military has said it has launched a major search and rescue operation.
The girls were abducted after midnight from a school in Chibok, on the edge of the Sambisa Forest that is an insurgent hideout, said Borno state police commissioner Tanko Lawan.
Gunmen killed a soldier and police officer guarding the school, then took off with at least 100 students, a State Security Service official said.
A local government official said he did not know how many of the girls have escaped but that “many” have walked through the bushes and back to Chibok. The girls were piled into the back of an open truck and, as it was traveling, some grabbed at low-hanging branches to swing off while others jumped off the slow-moving vehicle, he said. The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to give information to reporters.
All schools in Borno state were closed three weeks ago because of an increasing number of attacks by militants who have killed hundreds of students in the past year. But the young women – aged between 16 and 18 – were recalled to take their final exams, the local government official explained.
Wahabi Terrorist have been abducting girls to use as cooks and sex slaves.
Insurgents from the Boko Haram terrorist network are blamed for attacks that have killed more than 1,500 people this year alone. The group – whose name means “Western education is forbidden” – has targeted schools, mosques, churches, villages and agricultural centers in increasingly indiscriminate attacks. They have also made daring raids on military barracks and bases.