JNN 14 July 2014 The death toll of the brutal assault carried out by the Zionist entity on Gaza strip passed 170 , while the Number of Injured is in Thousands , as Tel Aviv held off from a threatened ground operation with world making efforts to broker a truce.
The Gaza-based Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) said that 172 people were martyred and another 1230 were injured since the Gaza offensive started last Monday.
The PCHR noted that more than three-quarters of the victims were civilians.
Meanwhile, the Zionist government appeared to be holding off the ground assault with media reports saying that ministers attending a Sunday evening meeting of the security cabinet had decided against putting boots on the ground — for the time being.
The Palestinian resistance meanwhile, went on in striking the Israeli depth with dozens of rockets. The occupation army said that the resistance has fired 760 rockets since the start of the offensive.
For his part Palestinian Authority Chief, Mahmoud Abbas has called for the United Nations to put the state of Palestine under “international protection” due to the worsening violence in Gaza, and would discuss efforts to end the bloodshed at a meeting of the Arab League foreign ministers in Cairo, officials said.
“At the Arab foreign ministers’ meeting … the State of Palestine will ask all parties present to adopt a draft resolution at the ministerial level to be presented at the next UN Security Council meeting and to follow-up on this matter accordingly at the UN,” a statement from the Palestine Liberation Organization said.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon urged Israel to scrap plans for a ground offensive, saying too many Palestinian civilians had been killed.
Also Sunday, in a phone conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, US Secretary of State John Kerry reiterated US willingness to help mediate a truce and said he was engaged with regional leaders to “help stop the rocket fire” and allow the calm to be restored, a senior State Department official said.
Ground Assault Resisted
Zionist naval commandos clashed with Palestinian resistance fighters in a raid on the coast of the Gaza Strip on Sunday, in what appeared to be the first ground assault of a six-day enemy offensive.
With aerial support from fighter jets, the Zionist force attacked a site in northern Gaza used to launch long-range rockets, a Zionist military spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner, said.
Militants opened fire, wounding four commandos, but the launch site was hit, he said.
The Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, confirmed the exchange of gunfire “between our fighters and soldiers of the Zionist navy which tried to penetrate the zone of Sudanyia” in northwest Gaza.
Hamas said fighters had fired at the enemy force offshore, preventing them from landing.
Lerner said the forces had “completed their mission” and that the results of the raid “would be the first published ground activity” by naval troops in Gaza, in an offensive that Palestinian officials said has killed 165 Palestinians, many of them civilians.
Two hours after the announcement of the raid at 0100 GMT, resistance fighters fired a long-range rocket salvo, with air raid sirens sounding at Tel Aviv’s Ben-Gurion airport and some city suburbs.
The Zionist military says a ground invasion of Gaza remains an option, and it has already mobilized about 20,000 reservists to do so, but most attacks have so far been from the air, hitting some 1,200 targets in the territory.
Lerner said the entity authorities would drop leaflets in northern Gaza’s Beit Lahiya to urge thousands of residents to evacuate ahead of planned strikes there.
The Israeli military said more than 800 rockets had been launched since its offensive began on Tuesday.
Sirens warning of incoming rockets went off throughout the night in the occupied territories, sending residents running for safe rooms and bomb shelters.
Zionist aircraft carried out a series of attacks in Gaza, including against a police headquarters and a security compound, Palestinian officials said.
Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah has lashed out at persisting “Zionist aggression” against innocent civilians in the Gaza Strip blasting the continued silence of Arab regimes and the international community toward the Israeli atrocities.
“This criminal aggression is a continuation of the ongoing Zionist war on the Palestinian people since before the establishment of the occupying entity and the seizure of the land and rights,” Hezbollah said in a Thursday statement.
“It is a shame that all this murder, sabotage and destruction occur amid the silence of the so-called the international community, and amid deeper and more bitter silence of Arab regimes that did nothing in the face of this crime that goes beyond all limits,” Hezbollah further emphasized.
The Hezbollah statement also pointed out that “the Zionist enemy kills children, women and elders, and destroys homes and institutions in the harshest destruction waged against the Gaza Strip ever since many years ago.”
The Lebanese resistance movement said it salutes the factions of the Palestinian resistance with “best regards” for remaining steadfast and firm in the face of the Zionist killing machine.
Stressing that “the enemy could not break the will of the resistance of the oppressed and heroic Palestinian people,” Hezbollah honored them for their courage, steadfastness and resistance, insisting that “the resistance approach has proved to be the only road that leads to the pride, dignity, victory and retrieval of rights.