JNN 29 Feb 2016 Mogadishu : Cameroon’s army has killed at least 92 members of the Boko Haram armed group and freed 850 villagers in a joint operation with Nigerian forces, Cameroon’s government said.
The operation in the northeastern Nigerian village of Kumshe, close to the border with Cameroon, was conducted under the auspices of a multinational force fighting BokoHaram, a statement from Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said on Friday. “Two Cameroonian soldiers were killed [during the operation] by an accidental mine explosion. Five other soldiers were wounded,” Bakary said, adding the army captured weapons and ammunition and found a centre for production of homemade mines. There was no immediate comment from Nigeria, or independent confirmation of the operation or casualty toll.
Wahabi Boko Haram seeks to implement their own crafted Law in the Name of Islam , in northeastern Nigeria and has staged a campaign of suicide and other attacks in Cameroon, Chad and Niger over the past year, including killing as many as 1,000 in Cameroon. In January, at least 86 people were killed in a series of attacks on a village in northeastern Nigeria by suspected Boko Haram terrorists. According to witnesses, the armed fighters firebombed huts and opened fire on civilians in the village of Dalori. Earlier this month, two suicide bombers killed at least 12 and wounded 50 others in a suspected Boko Haram market attack in northern Cameroon.
The US military calls Boko Haram the most violent armed group in the world. Some 20,000 people have been killed and about 2.3 million displaced since Boko Haram started its violent campaign in 2009.Children have been particularly targeted by Boko Haram and have often been the victims of sexual abuse, forced marriage, abductions and brutal killings. Terrified and traumatized, many families are keeping their children away from school classes.
Al-Shabaab attack on Mogadishu hotel kills 14 civilians
At least 14 people have been killed and dozens more wounded after Al-Shabab fighters set off a car bomb at the gate of a popular park and near a hotel in the capital Mogadishu, officials said.
Ahmed Abdullahi, a police major, said three attackers were shot dead by police following Friday’s attack. “The area is secured,” he said. The explosion went off at the entrance of the Somali Youth League hotel, known as SYL. This was followed by heavy exchange of gunfire between the hotel’s security staff and the suspected attackers. The hotel, which was targeted by al-Shabab in January 2015, is next to a public garden which would have been busy with families enjoying their weekend.
Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the blast and also said its fighters had stormed the hotel. “We started with a car bomb and then stormed the hotel. We are inside it and fighting continues,” Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, al-Shabab’s military operations spokesman,said. The attack comes a day after Al-Shabab fired mortars at the presidential palace in Mogadishu, killing at least three people and wounding nine, according to health officials.